Wednesday, October 14, 2009

NOT an Easy Bake Oven

I knew this day would come. After years of making the kids stay out of the kitchen while I am cooking and making them stay at least 200 feet from ANY flames, here I am teaching my kids to cook.
YIKES!
My kids love helping out in the kitchen: pouring and mixing ingredients. But, once the oven or stove goes on, the kitchen is off limits.
I was having a conversation with a friend the other day who informed me that her 11-year-old makes herself scrambled eggs in the morning and makes cakes, start to finish all the time. Well, Sydney is ten and a half. And I remember cooking all by myself when I was twelve. I realized that I needed to start sometime and now is as good time as any.
After much thought, I decided that teaching my kids how to use the oven first would be much easier than going right for the stove, and cookie baking season is coming up so, I went for oven lessons!!! I cheated, I had them bake their own pot pies. I needed to start out as basic as I could for my own sanity.
I didn't realize how many buttons are on my oven and the preheating process, which takes 6 minutes.... took ALL of that to explain why we preheat. What an ordeal!!!
So once we get passed that, the kids put their pot pies in the oven and set the timer according to the package.
30 minutes later, when the timer goes off, they all run for the oven. This could be a problem!
Finally, pot pies ready.
I was happy to see that they each were very careful and remembered their oven mits!

The kids were so proud and no one got burned!!!


At first I felt like I cheated them out of a REAL cooking lesson, but pot pies are not always easy to make.
Just click here to read my crazy pot pie story!!!
It's worth a good laugh!

No comments: