Saturday, October 10, 2009

I Made a Diaper Cake

I spent days surfing the net trying to find decent free information on how to make a diaper cake. There is so much stuff out there that is just plain gibberish that left me with no clue how to actually make a diaper cake. Diapers are really expensive so, I wanted to make sure that I didn't ruin ANY of them. A good looking diaper cake costs a lot of money and was wondering why I decided to make one by myself.
After much research (online) I was still stumped but, I was determined! I really wanted to make one for a good friend of mine for her baby shower. So I just let my creative juices flow and here is what I came up with:


So, Here is a simple way to make a Diaper Cake
Diaper Cake Ingredients:
Baby bottle or empty cardboard towel roll
8 feet of 1” wide ribbon
8 feet of 1/2" accent ribbon
2 thin wooden dowelsRubber bands
Safety pins
Glue gun
50-90 newborn diapers (depends on the size and the number of tiers you desire)
Decorative baby items (bibs, socks, toys)
Cake Topper

Assembly:
When rolling your diapers, have them opened lengthwise with tabs tucked in Secure your diapers with a rubber band so they stick together
Bottom layer: use larger size diapers. Wrap one layer of rolled diapers securely around the baby bottle or towel roll. Continue to wrap diapers around in rows, until your desired bottom layer is the size you want it.
Middle Layer: will start off the same wrapping around the top of the baby bottle or towel roll. continue until you reach the size you want (about two rows smaller than the bottom layer.
Top Layer: Your top layer will be rows of rolled diapers smaller than your middle layer. I used two thin wooden dowels that went through all layers and served to just hold the top layer in place.
Use a safety pin to hold ribbon around your diaper layers. Your 1" ribbon should cover and hide the rubber bands around your layers. Do this to all layers. Use an accent ribbon 1/2", hot glued over the first one, as a decorative touch. This also helps hide the rubber bands even more.
Assemble your tiers on top of eachother
Tuck your baby items in the ribbons, or flowers as decorations
Top your cake off with something fitting the theme of your party. Whether it be a small stuffed toy, a baby bottle or slippers
This project took me less than an hour and I had a lot of fun making it.
Most people see diaper cake making as a difficult task, but it doesn’t have to be that way. I found it very fast, easy, and fun. And the best part...no wasted diapers!!

No comments: