Tuesday, October 13, 2009

90 Minute Clinic

Let me start off by saying that I am not feeling good today so, please forgive me for being harsh. I have been fighting some bug for a while now and I simply refuse to be sick. I eat healthy, exercise (kind of), take my vitamins, and wash my hands so much to the point that I have severely dry skin. So I can't get sick, right?
Anyway, when I am feeling sick, even the littlest things bother me. I don't run to the doctor at the slightest cough or headache so, just the simple fact that I found myself signing in at the CVS minute clinic, was a bother.
minute clinic.....yeah right! I was there for an hour and a half!
I sat beside a mother whose kids (middle school aged) were obviously home schooled and she was doing an assignment with them. There she was reading a story in baby talk. Aghhh, I hate that!!!! Hello. Lady. Your kids are NOT babies!!! My head started pounding. I tried to ignore her but, it was VERY hard.
I sat there tortured for half an hour, when another mother came in. She had four children. Four very misbehaved children. Don't get me wrong, my kids are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But my kids also do not take items off the shelves and throw them at each other, make me chase them through CVS, and try to run out the door into the parking lot. And NEVER would I reward that behavior, like she did, with CANDY. This mother let them each pick out candy (if they promised to behave). While she was at the register, at the other end of the store, I could hear them....whining, demanding and, screaming. But they all come back with a candy in each hand, which they were getting all over the floor. Come on, Seriously???? (my headache is worsening)
I thought real hard about leaving, there is no reason for me to sit here, tortured. I kept asking myself, what the heck I was doing there and how could I possibly be surrounded by all this chaos!
Just when I thought is was bad, my nose starts running and my head still pounding, I got up from my seat to get a tissue, when one of the little brats took my chair. The only chair left. Oh no, you didn't. I gave the mother the ugliest look I could and I think she could see the bitter sick
%@*! inside of me and asked her kid to give me my seat back. I know that sounds mean of me but, like I said, mean mommy appears when I am sick.
Now, I am only two people away from my turn, when another mother comes in with three kids. Three screaming kids! She told them they were there for a flu shot and the kids were scared and crying. Then she proceeds to tell them that if they don't stop crying, they were going to get 2 shots!!! Why do people do that?
Baby talk mom left, and I was staring to miss her, she wasn't so bad after all.
As if the waiting area wasn't bad enough.....
since I work in a hospital, we have to assume that I have been exposed to the flu. So I get tested. OMG, the swab for the test is long and skinny and I knew they had to swab the inside of my nose but I didn't know they swab all the way up. It felt like they were swabbing my eye through my nostril. Now I really start coughing, eyes are watery, and my nose starts flowing like a river. The test would take ten minutes, and I asked the nurses to please not send me back into the crazy waiting room. She laughed, agreed and let me stay in there with her. After ten minutes....good news, my flu test was NEGATIVE!
All that torture for nothing!

No comments: