Sunday, October 11, 2009

Because I said So

I never thought I would use those words when disciplining my kids.
My parents used that a lot and I never understood why they wouldn't just explain why I wasn't supposed to do something.
Luckily for me, most days I don't have to argue with my children when it's time to clean up or go to bed. I think they are used to the rules by now.
I don't try to run a tight ship, just a tidy one. It's not that hard to put your dirty laundry in the hamper or put your dirty dishes in the sink, is it? And if they forget every once in a while, that's okay too.
But today, my son surprised me when he asked me why he had to take a shower, especially beacause there is no school tomorrow and I had already decided tomorrow I was washing all bed sheets. So, why couldn't he just go to bed, muddy clothes and all. What???
I know little boys like to get dirty, pick their nose, and play with bugs but when did sleeping in jeans and going two days without a shower become okay? Part of me wanted to let him sleep in his filth to see how he liked it but, I just couldn't.
Was he kidding? Did he really want to go to bed with mud on his jeans, face, and in between his toes? Not to mention....the stinch of a little boy who had a very active play day.
My only answer was...because I said so!
Just then, I remember what it was like hearing those very words from my parents and for a moment, I wondered if I should have taken a mimute to explain to him the reasons for proper hygiene. Then I thought, if he doesn't understand why wearing muddy stinky clothes to bed is not okay, then I have no better explanation.
He was actually okay with it, he just said "okay mom", and got in the shower.

No comments: