Sunday, October 4, 2009

Land of Crazy

I don’t know if I’m cut out to be a mom of teenagers.
People often tell me that I am a great mother. And I have to look around to see who in the heck they are talking about because it can't be me.
I'm the one who let’s things build up until I find myself over reacting and crying in the shower because it’s just too overwhelming.
I keep telling myself, that one day I will be able to laugh about motherhood over dinner. I will reminisce about how difficult kids can be and giggle as my adult children tell me about how they are struggling to raise their own young children......because that’s what they get.
But sometimes, I feel like I’m stuck in a place called tween/teenager where I don’t know the customs, fashions or, the language. I used to be a teenager. I even spoke the language once. But now? Now I’ve forgotten the basics and it’s just nonsense to me. And it’s so frustrating listening to this crazy language that I don’t understand.
But here I am. Another day. Another battle. The kids still need to be reminded to do their homework and brush their teeth. And I still have to hear “it’s not fair” or "I don't want to", on a regular basis.
But today I’m going to ignore the eye rolls and the heavy sighs and just make dinner, help with homework, and give hugs and kisses before passing out in my own bed.
Because that’s what mothers do and I know one day I'm going to miss having chaos in the house.

No comments: