Sunday, January 4, 2009

Laundry Piles

Mike and I have been working on organizing the house. We are having a lot of fun hoping and dreaming of the outcome, our big project right now is our laundry room.
Here's the plan:
A clean organized laundry room that doubles as a mud room. Simple and clean, with baskets for storage.
Since I am not the person who "keeps up" with the laundry the way I should, I constantly ask myself why do I need a laundry room makeover?
Here is what I came up with...... I am not a person who "keeps up" with the laundry. I wait, until it gets so overwhelming and I either need an Intervention or a Cloning Machine in order to get it done in a timely fashion. I'm not a laundry person. My kids have enough clothes to last them for a few weeks, so, why should I do it every week? I know, BAD Sonia. I constantly have 'Mount Everest' in my laundry room. Let's think about it. Five people create a lot of towels, socks, and underwear, on a daily basis. Thing Three, can only wear stuff once, because he's all boy, and doesn't really care what his clothes look like and can wear shirts three times, because he's meticulously clean and isn't old enough to sweat. So, there you go. And Thing Two just "hides" all her dirty clothes in drawers instead of the laundry basket so I never think she has any dirty laundry, and I am scared because she's always asking for clean socks, and she has more pairs than all of us combined. So she either eats them or throws them away after she wears them. I'd better look into that...Anyway, I'm currently "buried in laundry" but since I have to get together for the school start on Monday, I've gone and raided all the kids rooms looking for their clothes. And after doing that, I have a few questions, and I've discovered a few things:
1) Why is it that my kids can't put clothes in the hamper? There were more clothes on the floor of the bathroom than the hamper. What is so hard about 'Picking Things Up And Putting Them Away?'
2) Why is it, that I am STILL finding CLEAN clothes in the dirty clothes hamper? WHY??? WHY???
3) Thing One has been hoarding every washcloth in the house. They're all in her shower. I counted four of them the other day. What's wrong with REPEATING uses? And then, what's wrong with PUTTING THEM IN THE HAMPER???
4) What's wrong with using a bath towel two or three times? WHY do we need a new towel every shower? We RUN OUT OF TOWELS if you use a new one each time...Okay, I had to get that out of my system.
I'm up to my ears in laundry, and hopefully the new laundry room will help us get a good start on staying organized. Maybe, just maybe it will inspire the whole family..., one can only hope, right?

No comments: