Monday, November 2, 2009

I want candy!

What is it about this time of year that turns us all into sugar giving and sugar seeking maniacs? We have enjoyed 3 different Halloween parties, and have left each party with 3 kids each carrying a huge sack of various bite sized (and sometimes full sized) bits of candy. We celebrated a birthday or two with more sugar, and have essentially stuffed ourselves silly with various sweet concoctions.
I’m not only worried about broad health issues. I’m also trying to preserve my sanity. My efforts to limit my kids to only a few pieces of candy per day have put us in a war of their constant pleading and begging and my constant frustration and surrender. When I let them have their way and eat what they want, big surprise, they are cranky, tired, and generally little hellions. Am I the only one who sees food as a direct influence on behavior?
Have you heard about the Switch Witch? The Switch Witch is a great way to deal with all of that Halloween Candy.
The story goes like this: a child gets to eat all the candy they want up through Halloween night. On Halloween night, before the child goes to bed, s/he lays out all their candy for the Switch Witch. The Switch Witch comes when they are asleep and takes the candy and switches it for a toy. Cavity-creating candy is gone and desirable new toy is there instead!
A few of my friends told me about it last year and said that their kids LOVED the idea of the Switch Witch and eagerly put out all the candy. Apparently, none of them even mentioned the candy again as they were so happy to have a new toy. It is a brilliant idea, and I plan to do it next year.
Now I just have to figure out what to do with the hidden bite sized candy sitting in the top of my closet. Right now it is contributing to my personal adult obesity. Anyone want to switch witch me and leave me a new toy in exchange?

No comments: