Thursday, May 14, 2009

What Not to Wear

We all know that I am fashionably challenged but add "neglect my personal appearance" to the list of things I said I would never EVER do as a mom.
Part of the reason for this neglect is, I entered the fashion vacuum also known as motherhood, about 10 years ago. But I must admit there is another reason, a BIG reason, for my lack of personal presentation lately.
I like to be comfortable. Really comfortable. Really, really, comfortable.
And in order to maintain my comfort, I must sacrifice looking put together and stylish. Why? Well, my rules for comfort are as follows:
1. Shoes = flip flops.
Flats worn without socks make my feet clammy. Heels? Uh no, heels are so not comfortable. In fact, any shoe with a sole hard enough to make the clack-clack sound when I walk is not going to cut it. I am the girl who thinks a pair of black sandals can pass for dress shoes because, helllooooo, they're black. And don't talk to me about the Uggs people. It is about to heat here in Texas and I am not going to drop $200+ on a pair of boots with the fur.
2. Pants = jeans, khaki, or yoga pants.
And to be totally honest, jeans and khaki's aren't really all that comfortable to me.... I just feel like a major shlumpadinka leaving the house in my yoga pants.
No big deal so far, right? A girl can still look cute and put together in some jeans and trendy sandals, right? Well, I agree, but it seems like my biggest road block is the shirt...
3. Shirt = t-shirt. Well, it doesn't have to be a t-shirt, but it has to be made out of t-shirt material. As much as I have tried, and as much as my Goodwill give away pile will attest to, I just can't do any shirt that is not some form of or variation on the t-shirt. Synthetic fabric? although I look cute and it is comfy, I rip it off and throw on a t-shirt as soon as I get home. Woven fabric? Nope. No matter how "stretchy" it is, I feel like I am wearing a straight jacket. So most cute blouses are out for me. Silk and silk-like flimsy rayon-y flowy things? Ugh, I feel like I am constantly smoothing and adjusting and sucking in and straightening.
Do I have some kind of disorder?
Anyway, I am sick of wearing jeans and a t-shirt day in and day out, over and over and over and over again. I would like to look a little ... uhm.... nicer?
So hallelujah, I was so happy to go shopping and find some really nice tops. Tops that look like they could fall in the category of blouse (for lack of a better word... hey, I told you I was fashionably challenged, but whatever.), but they are made out of t-shirt material! (Well, one actually is nothing but a glorified long sleeve t-shirt. Hey, old habits die hard.) They are cut like blouses but they feel like t-shirts! AND, they are long enough to cover my plumber's crack. AND they are shaped in such a way that they hide my 'love' handles. AND now I can go to play dates and book club meetings without feeling like a shmuck, overdressed, or (gasp) uncomfortable.
WOW! What more could a girl ask for?
A few tops do not a makeover, uhm, make... but, hey, it's a start.
Now, if someone can just convince Mr. Blahnik to design a pair of flip-flops....

No comments: