Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cellphone drama

I had a minor gadget emergency the other day. I define this as an emergency because the emergency was that my cellphone kept turning itself off randomly and refusing to reignite in any way shape or form until it was ready. Really? Not an emergency, but in this day and age being without your cellphone feels like an emergency, especially when no one can get a hold of you without it. So after three days of being ready to run to the AT&T store and then having the damn thing magically heal itself, I had had enough. My phone is only a little over a year old and hadn't suffered any big trauma (everyone drops their phones, right?)...to my knowledge anyway, I suppose with phone loving little ones running around you never truly know...so I was not happy.
Cellphone salespeople have taken on a certain type in my mind, pretty much the same type as the used car salesman and the carnies. Anyone who shouts at me and tries to sell me something as I'm walking through the state fair with my three children, trying to hold three hands, juggling huge stuffed animals and a leaky lemonade immediately goes on my bad list.
And don't get me started on the nail file and hand lotion toting salespeople at the mall....they are on the list too!
Anyway, back to my phone.....I just knew, before I even called, that I was going to be told that my phone was worthless, no longer under warranty, and that I was going to have to buy a new one. Knowing that I was not yet eligible for a "free" phone, as my contract isn't up yet, I was internally screaming. Upon investigation, it appeared that the "moisture sensor" inside the battery compartment shined a brilliant shade of white, which immediately told me two things:
1. my phone had no water damage (despite the fact that I spilt coke on it the other day) and
2. it doesn't seem to be a warranty problem, but I guess I could send it in. Me without my phone for, at the very least, a week and a half....not good!
Lovely. I threw my phone down, ignored it, and pondering over the fact that I would lose all connection with the world for a few days....I decided I should send it in and guess what?
my phone began to work!

No comments: