Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tassels to the Left

Today was a big day. My little man graduated from preschool. I know it must seem so incredibly lame to be tearing up over this and to be thinking so much about the closure of his time in preschool, where circle time and peeing in the potty sometime seem to be the biggest challenges. But, really, those weren't the true challenges. It is amazing to see how much he has grown in the past five years, even little Ethan got choked up when he had to say goodbye to all his friends and his awesome teachers. And I have grown a lot as a parent too. So I get emotional - very quickly - when I make scrapbook pages. And when I think about them going to Elementary School in the Fall.So next year? He will be heading to kindergarten at public school, where he will....well, I don't REALLY know...sit at tables and come home with homework? For kindergarten? At least he will get to still GO OUT AND PLAY and will continue to love school and learning. It is hard to go from a place you love to the unknown. This morning, I told Ethan that today was his last day of preschool and he said “I’m a big boy now and I’m going to the big school”. I said, with tears in my eyes, “Yes, you get to go to kindergarten next Fall and that will be so much fun and I'm very proud of you."So as I walked down the green hallway to Ethan’s class I fought back the tears and visited his class one last time. All Ethan’s friends were having lunch, their last lunch together as a class and I got very emotional. I gave the teachers their gifts and thanked them for such a great year. I left the classroom and headed for the auditorium, took my seat and just waited. When I saw my little man in his graduation cap and a big smile, I felt happy, sad, and excited all at the same time.
So as we say goodbye to preschool with tears in our eyes, we are happy for the years to come....homework, field trips, and new friends!!!







No comments: