Friday, September 12, 2008

Baby Blues


My friend had her baby today. I went to see her in the hospital and all those new mommy memories came back. I really miss all the little coos and faces babies make, they are so amazing. As I rocked him I thought to myself, I want one. Yes I have contemplated yet another child. I absolutely loved being pregnant and I love kids, I would have a ten if I could. The thoughts in my head are overwhelming. Bottles, strollers, car seats, diapers, wipes, bibs, teething and potty training, oh my. But you know what, somehow we manage to get through all those things and end the day with a smile.
My three kids are all different in their own way and the trials of motherhood for each of them was a new adventure.
Syd, my oldest: great pregnancy, bad delivery, colic, eczema, jaundice, always had to be held, and didn't sleep through the night for years! But she holds a special place in my heart, because she was the first one to call me 'mom'. I can still remember those words and how they made me cry and I she will be the one I share 'firsts' with first (does that make sense?).
Naty, my second: pregnancy not so well, preterm labor and bed rest at 20 weeks, she came early, and she was breech so I had to have a c-section but she slept through the night almost immediately. Naty was my trial and error child, all I did was compare her to Syd. You know, well Syd was walking by this age, why isn't Naty, something must be wrong. But my Naty has a strong spirit and put up with all my nuttiness. She is such a sweetie, very motherly and big on family values.
For a long time it was just my two girls, and the poor things were the victims of dresses with matching hair bows, tights, or ruffled socks, and patent leather shoes. But they were mama's girls and I was proud to show them off.
Then along came Ethan, my son: perfect pregnancy, repeat c-section, slept through the night, cloth diapers, never had a bottle, teethed with no fever or cries, but took a long time to potty train!! I enjoyed buying the cute little boy stuff, whitey tighties, ties for church, sneakers and jeans, and all those cool new toys.....move over barbie, here comes GI Joe and his pal spider man. He is all BOY and there aren't enough words to express the love a son has for his mother and vice versa. I could go on and on about the love I have for my kids, but you get the picture, they are wonderful and they have made me who I am....mother.
So you can see where seeing my friend in this new mommy moment has made me reminisce, I guess I'll just have to see how long this temptation will last, or maybe I will just give in to it................ :)

No comments: