Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Good Old Friends

Long distance between friends is tough, sometimes impossible, to stay in touch. Each year I get older I realize how tricky it is to find my tribe. I’ve got plenty of people around me and I am very thankful for their support and friendship but I find myself missing home and my old friends. Why is that? For one thing, my newer friends only know me as a mother. Most of my new friendships have been formed with kids as a foundation and people tend to posture a bit, to hide their truths for fear of being judged, when they’re with their kids. It doesn’t always feel safe to let your hair down, and I totally understand. But old friendships are easy. Old friends are like plants: they can withstand an enormous amount of neglect without dying on me.
I had a meet-up with two of my childhood friends last winter. We had an afternoon of lounging and an evening of cocktail sipping and reminiscing. Even though we rarely see each other and only sporadically talk on the phone. Life gets in the way. Even so, within 20 minutes of being back together with them I felt as if we had never been apart. The predominant feeling: ease. Just like old times. I was myself and so were they. Being with them was effortless.

No comments: