Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Make Mine To Go

So there's this big hoopla over studying, reading, or doing your homework at Starbucks. In all my years and as one who loves Starbucks, you might find it hard to believe that I have never studied there before. I certainly wasn't waking up to be there at 5 a.m. (There's not really much that would make me get up at 5 a.m.)
So today, I did it. Word on the street is that Starbucks is the place to be when you want to catch up on your daily news or finish off those last chapters of your current read. I was fortunate enough that I have completed a lot of my nursing courses so, for me, I had a 2 ½ hour lunch break. Since I have a big commute, running home was not an option. I decided to put the Starbucks study ritual to test. I was very surprised at my disappointment.
Here I am, backpack on my shoulder and craving my favorite Grande White Chocolate Mocha.
This particular Starbucks had a cozy setting filled with over sized couches, lamps, and small tables lining the windows. As I stood waiting for my latte, I skimmed the room to notice there was not one empty seat. Well, let me make a correction, there were tables.......outside. There wasn’t many of those left either and the ones that were, had smokers surrounding them.
It’s 11am, don’t you people work????
So, here I stood…latte in one hand and backpack in the other wondering what to do. Wondering how long it would be before a table or huge comfy chair would become I thought I was going to have to leave when, I found an open table. Well, it was one chair by a very small table just big enough to hold my purse and book.
I was determined to have this Starbucks experience so, I took it. As I sat by the large over sized glass windows, I sipped my mocha latte and started reading my latest, The Lovely Bones book. Ahhh, perfect!
Who was I kidding….I couldn't’t concentrate.
There was an interview at the small table next to mine and I could hear every word. I felt sorry for the applicant; her voice was timid as she answered the questions regarding her experience with customer service and her previous work experience.
Not to mention the other college students who I could hear from across the way, they appeared to be quizzing each other for an upcoming test.
Oh, and don’t let me forget to tell you about the guy who had a larger table with four chairs all to himself (with his lap top) watching YouTube videos!!!! I wanted to ask him, if his volume button was broken or if he needed to borrow some earphones.
I just don't get it! Why is it that every time i am in line at Starbucks on my way to one of the kids soccer games or just running errands, I see people in total harmony with their Wall Street Journals or latest Nicholas Sparks book. It always looks so relaxing, I thought as, I packed up my book and took my mocha latte for a walk.
I haven’t given up, I will probably try it again soon.
Today was definitely a to-go day.

No comments: