Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Baby Story

I am fascinated by hearing other people’s birth stories, partly because I work in labor & delivery and I have a lot of mommy friends. Some stories are funny, some horrific and some amazing….the most fabulous part is that they are all different. The difference between what you think will happen and what actually does always leaves me amazed at the funny ways life works. With my first baby I recall stressing out pre labor because I was so modest; little did I know that my modesty would be gone forever!!!! And never has a truer word been spoken.
By the time I had my 3rd baby I had totally given up on any specific birth plan. My only plan was to get him delivered as quickly and painlessly as possible. Give me any and all drugs you have and don’t let my husband have any important jobs like pushing buttons, rubbing my back, or make decisions for me.And please…..give the baby a good wipe before you put it on me as all that blood and gooey stuff will really ruin the moment for me.
Anyway, the purpose of this post is really to say that everyone’s story is different, how everyone reacts is different and that really is the greatest part about having babies and why I love my job so much. So…...if you are a bit like me and didn’t go for the all natural, soft music, candles, yoga, water birth, no pain relief effort at birth…..who cares?? As long as everyone is OK that is all that matters.
There will be plenty of opportunities to try and become a super mom later on….like when your stitches/C-section scar doesn’t hurt so bad.

No comments: