Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

It’s Friday the 13th and this day brings me goose bumps, maybe because I've heard stories about what happens on dates like this, especially in the movies. I have to admit that I believe in some superstitions: I knock on wood to avoid bad luck but, nothing else really bothers me, like broken mirrors, black cats, ladders, etc.

Did you know that a fear of going out on Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia? According to the North Carolina-based Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute, 17 million to 21 million people in the United States have a significant fear of this day. Some people are so paralyzed by their fear that they avoid their normal routines in doing business, traveling, or even getting out of bed.The superstition surrounding Friday the 13th is actually a combination of two separate fears — the fear of the number 13 and the fear of Fridays. The unlucky number 13 is often left out when numbering houses, flats and hotel rooms and it is generally considered bad luck to start anything on a Friday - a new journey, job, marriage, business project, giving birth, or moving. It's good to know that I am not the only one dreading this day but 2009 has three!!!
It should be an interesting day, I'll knock wood that everyone has an accident-free Friday and fun weekend!

No comments: