Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Time after time....

I have what I think could be considered an “obsessive personality.” I know it, I recognize it and….I it. It’s what brings out spontaneity in me, what drives me to push myself beyond the norm, it’s what gets me out of the rut that we all fall into. It’s why I started and continued house projects. It’s why I write and blog. It’s why I scrapbook. Why my house is so organized. And more importantly why I am the mother that I have become. Ever since having kids, I find time slips through my fingers faster than it ever did. 
I love and appreciate all the relationships in my life but I admit, I’m not always present to those around me. Maybe it’s part of my personality to ponder, reflect and contemplate about life. Sometimes I forget that everyday life has its own richness of taste, feel and touch. When I let myself be in touch with my kids, is when I see their imagination taking them to far-off places. They’re writing plays with their friends, talking with each other about what they’re wearing, how they’re getting to school, family vacations, and what spend their allowances on. Through plenty of trial and error, I discovered something to be managed through choosing the right priorities for myself and my family….TIME.
Time is such a valuable gift. What we do with it is a gift to those around us. When one parent works 12 hour shifts and each kid has their own activities, time together can be an issue. But, I have not let that be an excuse. I have to say that thru all these stressful months of nursing school, moving, and soccer schedules, we have managed to have dinner together every evening. I’m grateful for my family and for the time I can spend with our kids now when they’re still young. Like many wise women tell me, they’re this young only once. Treasure these moments.
 My family and spiritual life are my highest priorities. I still have dreams and aspirations, and sometimes they take me to far-off places, taking more time than I’d like. Thankfully, the people in my everyday life keep me grounded.

No comments: