Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chalk Paint Challenge: Day One

So, I started painting my table today......
I can't tell you how many times I had to stop and check Pinterest for tips and tutorials, again and again! This chalk paint stuff is not as 'fool proof' as I thought, at least for me. Or maybe I shouldn't have assumed that it would be extremely easy.
I am painting an antique white table to an Old White color, easy right? not. The two white colors seem to be fighting with each other and I couldn't seem to completely cover the original paint. After about half an hour of freaking out, I figured that I would just apply a second coat afterwards, and that should take care of it. Well....it worked but then I was having trouble with streaking and dripping and because the paint dries so fast, my second coat was painted on with a half hardened-bristle brush.
*note to self: buy more than one paint brush!!!
I went ahead and finished the second coat and put my only paintbrush to soak.
I'm done for today, I need to pick up a few things from the Home Depot tonight and hopefully finish by the end of the weekend.
Right now, my table legs are painted and appear very 'chalky' but the streaks are less noticeable and I finally got the original paint color covered up. The clear wax should seal the paint and make it look less powdery (is that even a word?).  I'm still not 100% happy with this project but, hoping for better results tomorrow.

Tips from me:
~this paint is easier to use if you want a distressed look
~get good brushes and more than ONE
~be careful painting on a thick coat, dripped paint dries so fast and you'll have to chip it off or sand it down to fix it.
~it looks so much better after it dries
~the paint will chip and scratch very easily until you seal it with wax
~do more research than I did, before you start ;)

No comments: